OSD#5 needs a patch?

David Presotto presotto at closedmind.org
Thu Oct 9 01:04:24 UTC 2003

> Proponents of open source software insist that software not be a
> battleground on which political or philosophical or business wars are waged.

To a certain extent, an inheritive clause or prohibition against combination
with one is a political battleground.  The GPL is indeed a soldier in a battle
to 'free' captive software.

In fact, having an approval process for open source licenses is quite a strong
political statement in of itself.  I really don't see how such a clause can
make sense.