Understanding the LGPL.

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Oct 3 13:20:03 UTC 2003

Bjorn Reese scripsit:

> It was not my intention to start a discussion about licensing
> preferences by referencing the article, but rather to point out
> differences between LGPL and BSD, which the original poster asked
> about.

Fair enough.  However, (except for the point about complexity) the
discussion of the LPGL is solely from the viewpoint of developer freedom,
which IMHO misses the point of the LGPL.

> > Speak your experience as your truth.
>
> I am not sure that I understand the above statement.

# Early this spring [of 1986] I met a musician, the composer Pauline
# Oliveros, a beautiful woman like a grey rock in a streambed;
# and to a group of us, women, who were beginning to quarrel over
# theories in abstract, objective language - and I with my splendid
# Eastern-women's-college training in the father tongue was in the thick
# of the fight and going for the kill - to us, Pauline, who is sparing
# with words, said after clearing her throat, "Offer your experience as
# your truth."  There was a short silence.  When we started talking again,
# we didn't talk objectively, and we didn't fight.  We went back to feeling
# our way into ideas, using the whole intellect not half of it, talking with
# one another, which involves listening.  We tried to offer our experience
# to one another.  Not claiming something: offering something.
	--Ursula K. LeGuin, "Bryn Mawr Commencement Address"
	(online at http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/sci_cult/leguin/)

--
"May the hair on your toes never fall out!"     John Cowan
        --Thorin Oakenshield (to Bilbo)         jcowan at reutershealth.com