mysql

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Sat Nov 22 16:19:54 UTC 2003

Marius Amado Alves wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 23:54, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> > Actually, what limits your hability to distribute your application
> > is not MySQL AB, but the GPL itself.
>
> Indeed. It's the 'viral' nature of GPL that makes dual licencing
> economically feasible. See my essay "Open Source Business Found
> Parasitic" archived in this list and in www.SoftDevelCoop.org.

No, it's the FUD that the GPL is 'viral' and therefore must
be avoided in business environments. It is very well possible
to combine GPL-licensed software with proprietary applications.
You just have to make the right architectural decisions.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself