mysql

Arnoud Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Sat Nov 22 10:14:05 UTC 2003

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> Now, a question for the lawyer in the list: if I use a GPL'd documentation
> (example: describing an API) to create a software, must my software also
> be licensed undes the GPL ?

Depends on how you would use that documentation in creating
the program. If you copied nontrivial parts into the program,
the GPL may become relevant. The function declarations are
most likely not copyrightable as they're purely functional.

However I would still be hesitant if any developer in my firm
made the program by copy&pasting directly from the GPL-licensed
documentation. You never know whether they would accidentally
copy&paste some creative (ie copyrighted) parts.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself