GPL + proprietary code license

Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet galactus at stack.nl
Sat May 24 20:28:29 UTC 2003

Rod Dixon wrote:
> I am not sure whether the original poster was serious. IF, by "commercial"
> software the poster meant proprietary software, then the question is based
> on a false premise.

Why is that? You can get proprietary software in source code form,
and the license then usually covers situations in which you combine
that source code with other source code. It seems like a legitimate
question what happens if that other source code is GPL-licensed.

For an extreme example, take a look at the Microsoft source
code licenses. They basically forbid you to involve any
free software ("potentially viral software" or "software under
an IPR impairing license" is what they call it) in the same project.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself