For approval: ENCUL

Mark Shewmaker mark at primefactor.com
Fri May 23 21:14:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 15:05, John Cowan wrote:
> Mark Shewmaker scripsit:
>
> >     Looking at US trademark law, from 15 USC 1052 (f), at
> >     http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/1052.html
>
> Well, you need to do the research again, because "Open Source" isn't anybody's
> trademark: certainly not OSI's.  It needs to be a certification mark.

Section 1054 adds in the same rules for certification marks.

(As to the other, while OSI doesn't have a *registered* certification
mark on "Open Source", whether they have an unregistered certification
mark is an open question I suppose, though I would obviously, IMHO,
IANAL, say they do.)

 -Mark Shewmaker
  mark at primefactor.com