Defense against Patents

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Mar 21 20:42:38 UTC 2003

Eben,

Your analysis of how the GPL might protect software from a patent threat
is not realistic.

You hypothesized, solely for discussion purposes, that Microsoft has a
patent that reads on some portion of Linux.  You suggested that
Microsoft would not go after the open source programmer (his pockets are
too shallow) but would go after, say, HP instead.  Because of the GPL §
7, you concluded, HP would not be able to construct a private settlement
but would have to defend everyone's right to practice the patent.

But why would Microsoft go against HP and risk HP's funding litigation
to invalidate the patent?  That is not typically how such patent
disputes resolve themselves.  Patent holders often try to assert their
claims against little guys first.  That way they can get quick
settlements that establish a de facto legitimacy to the patent without
risking a big-bucks defense.  They litigate slowly up the food chain,
not down it.

Alternatively, Microsoft could forget a lawsuit against HP and proceed
against HP's customers directly -- the banks, insurance and
manufacturing companies that infringe through their *use* of patented
technology.  Such companies don't usually have technology patents that
they can use as bargaining chips.  Also, as you well know, there is no
indemnification or warranty of non-infringement in open source licenses.
Merely chilling the acceptability of our software in the eyes of our
customers would be a dreadful defeat for us.

And why would injunctive relief not be appropriate, even against little
guys?  When arguably infringing software is distributed for free there
is no reasonable measure of monetary damages.  As you know, that is one
of the criteria courts use to judge the appropriateness of injunctive
relief.  If you can knock out the key developers of an open source
project because of the threat that they will lose their houses and their
software (unrealistic though that threat might be to those of us who
understand real litigation in real circumstances), wouldn't that suffice
to chill the use of patented technology?

I'm sorry to say that the GPL's defense against the patent threat is
weaker than we can afford.  We need something stronger.

/Larry Rosen