What happens when the copyright expires ?

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Mar 18 00:36:01 UTC 2003

Here was the question:

> 3) Furthermore if they stop being open source will they stop
> being open source
> when the term of the first copyright year mentioned in a
> composite work would
> expire or when the last would expire ?

Suppose you have a "composite work" (I assume he meant "collective
work," the correct legal term) consisting of several works with
different copyright expiration dates.  Assume that the entire collective
work is licensed under an open source license.  When the earliest to
expire copyright of a component actually expires and that portion of the
collective work enters the public domain, the collective work remains an
open source work.

A public domain work can be part of an open source work, a part of a
proprietary work, or you can use it as a snot rag.  The copyright law no
longer cares.

/Larry Rosen