Please add "Public Domain" to "license" list

'Rick Moen' rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 17 03:08:35 UTC 2003

Quoting David A. Wheeler (dwheeler at dwheeler.com):

> Actually, I've looked over some of the OSI-approved licenses.
> I'm still not convinced that there's ever a good reason for
> authors of software to use some of those approved licenses either :-).

The OSI doesn't advocate particular licences:  It approves _only_ their
claim to OSD-compliance.

> I wasn't aware that the OSI ever requires that all OSI
> members "like" the side-effects of the release conditions - as
> long as they meet the spirit & letter of the OSD, they
> should be approved.

Your rhetoric is overreaching, again:  OSI doesn't "require" anything,
other than that people wanting to use its certification mark meet
specified requirements, including usage of an approved licence.

> I'm not asking the OSI to RECOMMEND releasing software as public
> domain, or to use public domain software.  Just a clarification
> that public domain source code (if truly public domain)
> is open source software.

Feel free to write such a clarification that's markedly less problematic
than the one you attempted before, then -- and don't forget to suggest
somewhere appropriate to post it.  (The page of approved licences, which
you have urged, is an obvious non-starter.)

--
Cheers,                   "Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm
Rick Moen                 for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he will be warm