Please add "Public Domain" to "license" list

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 16 02:53:14 UTC 2003

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at mercury.ccil.org):

> I'm not clear on how you did this.

To the extent of reason.[1]

I skimmed through all Web pages, READMEs, and source code, looking for
mention of persons involved, and then attempted to determine from that
information which of them had made code contributions.  Last, I looked
for statement of permission (in any form), in all of the aforementioned
places.

Given all of those things, I checked for licence conflicts.  If none
were present, and if I'd found OSD-compliant permission grants from
all apparent code contributors, then I added the package to my archive.
In a few cases, my version of the package tarball includes necessary
permission grants that are not in the upstream tarball (e.g., if I
snagged it from a Web page).  I generally remembered to send e-mail
advising upstream maintainers of that, but might have missed a few.

> Did you in every case contact every author, and how did you know that
> you truly reached the author and not another person of the same name?

I neither did that nor asked the maintainers to swear under oath that
there aren't any uncredited authors.  ;->

[1] Actually, I was tempted to use James "The Amazing" Randi's
traditional answer to such questions:  "Rather well, I thought."

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.