Open Source Business Found Parasitic, and the ADCL

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Mar 15 03:05:49 UTC 2003

On Friday 14 March 2003 11:03 am, maa at liacc.up.pt wrote:

> I was under the impression that RedHat and MySQL AB (others?) were
> *very* successfull businesses.

It completely misses the whole point. Neither Redhat nor MySQL make any
appreciable amount of money SELLING open source SOFTWARE. Instead they
are selling service, support, and proprietary addons. To quote from the
MySQL site: "All of our products are available under open source
licenses, but we also sell commercial licenses for all of the
products."

There are many good ways to generate revenue from Open Source software
that you have written, but selling it outright is not one of them.
Which was my entire point.

--
David Johnson