Compatibility of the AFL with the GPL

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Mar 14 21:55:17 UTC 2003

Lawrence E. Rosen writes:
 > OK, guys, play with me one more round.  This time, let's do it in the
 > form of a law school exam question and let's get the lawyers and IANALs
 > on this list to chime in:

Nahhh.  None of this is necessary.  There's nothing in the AFL that
says that you must use the same license on derivative works.
Therefore, without reference to any other terms of the AFL, it is
trivially compatible with the GPL insofar as derivative works get
licensed under the GPL.

Period.

End of discussion.

It's GPL-compatible.

The only question is whether RMS will admit to making a mistake.

--
-russ nelson   angry-economist.russnelson.com   | "What Problem Are You Trying
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | To Solve?" is a service mark