Compatibility of the AFL with the GPL

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Mar 13 02:18:21 UTC 2003

Lawrence E. Rosen scripsit:

> I'm sorry, Brian, I just don't view these things as "additional
> restrictions" -- yet another example of vagueness in the GPL.

I don't see how you can claim that a statement that "If you do X, your
license is void" doesn't count as a restriction imposed by the license,
however odious X may be.

> Regardless, the explicit exclusion of a trademark license and the mutual
> defense provision are not going to disappear from the AFL.

No more they should.

> I've assured you, as the license author,

All your points are good ones, but ...

> ***** If you combine AFL-licensed software with GPL-licensed software,
> ***** and license the result under the GPL,
> ***** nobody will ever sue you for doing so!

Why, I'll go further than that (of course IANAL and TINLA):

***** If you blatantly violate the GPL,
***** incorporating code from a well-known GPLed program
***** into your broken proprietary software,
***** and even mention in your advertising that you are doing so,
***** nobody will ever sue you for doing so!

> I guess that's compatibility in fact, if not in RMS' mind.

I guess that's immunity from suit (due to high transaction costs).

> If RMS continues to believe that the licenses are incompatible, he
> should either change the GPL or stand out of the way of progress.

No doubt.  But the GPL version 2, obsolete as it is in many ways, is
a foundation document of our community, to be changed only with great
care and caution.  Note RMS's comment on the IBMPL:

#  The IBM Public License is incompatible with the GPL because it has
# various specific requirements that are not in the GPL.
#
# For example, it requires certain patent licenses be given that the GPL
# does not require. (We don't think those patent license requirements are
# inherently a bad idea, but nonetheless they are incompatible with the
# GNU GPL.)

So there is reason to believe that GNU GPL v3 might include some patent
provisions, but it isn't something that can be issued on the spot:
it has to be checked and rechecked very carefully, especially given
that many programs use the "2 or later version" language the GPL recommends,
so lots of licenses might change suddenly.

> But this obstinate refusal by FSF to declare compatibility of the AFL,
> or to change the GPL to allow compatibility, is encouraging the creation
> of islands of free software that people erroneously think cannot be
> re-used in GPL-licensed software.  That will be our community's loss.

So it will, but it will take time for the problem to go away.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There