GPL compatibility of a simple license

Assert assert at powerpost.cjb.net
Sun Jun 22 17:46:26 UTC 2003

Hello,

I would like to modify a software that is not maintained anymore by its
original author. As I would be interested in integrating GPL'ed code
with it, my question is do you think it is 'compatible' with the GPL:

Please note the following:

(1) *PLEASE* do not release new versions of Power-Post without
     making it EXPLICITLY CLEAR that it is a modified version.
     For example, call it "Kinko's Power-Post" or something, so
     people will not ask me for support for something I did not
     write.

(2) If you do release a new version based on this code, simply
     give me (Chris Morse) credit in the Help/About.

(3) Power-Post 2000 is built with Visual C++ 6.0, uses MFC, and
     is multi-threaded.  This will not compile with other
     compilers without making some modifications.

(4) At the moment, I have not written any documentation on the
     source code.  If I get enough questions, I'll write a little
     FAQ that explains the basic structure of the code.

(5) Power-Post 2000 is FREEWARE.  Any modified versions must
     be FREEWARE too.  The original spirit of usenet is not dead!

(6) Power-Post was one of my first internet applications that I
     wrote, and the source code isn't nearly as neat and orderly
     as I would like it to be.

Points 3,4,6 are not really relevant here. Point 5 seams compatible with
the GPL, but I'm not sure about Points 1 and 2. I would appreciate any
comment on that.

Thank you for your help.

Assert.