Updated license - please comment

Forrest J. Cavalier III forrest at mibsoftware.com
Wed Jun 18 21:13:26 UTC 2003

Mark Rafn <dagon at dagon.net> wrote, in part:

> It doesn't even seem close to me.  Let me know if I'm insane, or reading
> it wrong, but I can't see how such a restriction can be considered open
> source.
>
> I know they're straight from the LGPL, but they are irrelevant there
> because the LGPL is a pure superset of the GPL (see LGPL section 3),
> unlike the license under discussion.
>
> Yes, this indicates that I think the LGPL without section 3 would
> be non-open-source.

I agree with you.

I have difficulty understanding 2d.  It seems complicated.

In private email, Christophe Dupre summarized the intention this way:

> 2 d is there to make sure that the library remains usefull by itself, and
> does not become a wrapper for proprietary tools.

I don't know if 2 d meets that intention or not.  It is hard to understand 2d.
But I have my doubts that the intention is compatible with Open Source,
(depending on how we define "Proprietary")