commercial application development

Rasmus Lerdorf rasmus at lerdorf.com
Thu Jun 5 22:16:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> We should be specific here - this only applies, AFAIK, to applications
> that statically link with MySQL code, creating a derivative work.  So if
> you've got a C app that links to MySQL client libs, and you ship that,
> then you are shipping a derivative work of the client libs.  The client
> libs, though (at least the Java JDBC driver, AFAIK) are LGPL, meaning the
> rules are slightly easier.

No, this was changed recently.  New versions of both the MySQL 3.23.x and
the MySQL 4.x client libraries are now under the GPL, not the LGPL.  I
have talked to them about this and they are considering making an
exception for open source projects that are under an OSI-approved license.
This was actually my motivation for getting the OSI stamp of approval on
the PHP License.

-Rasmus