commercial application development

Sujita Purushothaman sujita at mimos.my
Thu Jun 5 03:13:29 UTC 2003

Miller, Aaron wrote:
> I have searched and searched online for an explanation to this question, so
> if I have missed a faq that details this please accept my apology and point
> me in the right direction.
>
> My question concerns using perl, perl::dbi, mysql, postgres, etc to develop
> commercial applications.  Can an application be written in perl and use a
> mysql/postgres datastore without the requirement of releasing the
> application code?  There would be no modifications made to the installed
> versions of these applications.  An example would be a CGI frontend to a DB.
> An explanation from a license perspective(GPL/LGPL/Artistic License/etc)
> rather than an application by application perspective would be appreciated.

If you use MySQL to develop a closed-source application you have to buy
the commercial license. If you use the GPLed MySQL then you have to
release your application under the GPL.

This page has more info: http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html

Sorry I don't know about postgres.

Rgds,
Sujita

--
Sujita Purushothaman
Research Engineer, Open Source Development, MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia.