Academic Free License version 2.0

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 22 02:26:29 UTC 2003

I think this change is mostly-positive.  The only negative
aspect that I see is that it's twice as long as the previous
revision.  AFL 1.2 had stricken a nice balance between
brevity and precision.

May I suggest that, alongside AFL 2.0, you publish one last
license in the AFL 1.x series, based on AFL 1.2 but with the
applicable OSL 2.0 revisions merged in, i.e. sublicenseable,
and with the revised, more palatable Termination for Patent
Action clause?

In addition, considering how different the wording of AFL
2.0 is from 1.x (even though the effect is similar), and the
fact that there may be projects using 1.x, please do not
withdraw the AFL 1.x when 2.0 is approved.  I would like to
see them both in the list of approved licenses.