OSD Model Code -- Article 1 (Free Distribution)

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Jan 21 21:45:46 UTC 2003

Lawrence E. Rosen writes:
 > I think [Article 1] really means:
 >
 >    "The license must permit all licensees to make copies of
 >    the software without payment of additional royalties to
 >    the licensor.  The license cannot restrict licensees
 >    from either selling or giving away those copies."

That's killer, Larry, just killer.  You really ought to be a lawyer,
you're so good at this legal stuff.  :-)

 > Should we reword the OSD where appropriate to achieve clarity?

I think you're doing more than clarifying.  I think you're introducing
additional restrictions on a licensor -- and that's good!  What if
somebody tried to restrict a licensee from selling or giving away the
software as a stand-alone package??

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | You get prosperity when
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | the government does less,