Red Hat CCMPL and exclusive for-pay maintenance releases

Florian M Unterkircher florian-rhccm at unterkircher.com
Mon Jan 20 19:30:22 UTC 2003

Mr Jacobson,

First, it wouldn't be the first time a company possibly abusing code
developed under an OSS-like license would have to change
their practices (think NVidia, Sigma Designs, etc.).

<rant>
I would like to suggest that you chose a BSD style license and
don't acquire tainted assets from companies like AD, if that is what
more accurately reflects your true intentions. Many people will agree
that making this appear to be a community effort and "borrowing" freely
contributed third party code/ IP for an exclusively commercial offer
through the back door is not only morally doubtful but certainly
dishonest in this context, particularly the excuse is Red Hat's unability
to "[allocate] resources to launch the necessary infrastructure" since
November 12th, 2002 to make these releases available, as pointed out
by your employee in
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/redhat-ccm-list/2002-November/000318.html.
May I suggest that you sign up for a free SourceForge account which would
instantly provide you with _all_ the resources that would be needed, in addition
to some basic `man cvs` knowledge.
</rant>

Anyway, I'm also cc'ing this to license-discuss at opensource.org
for an outside perspective on this matter. I may well be
wrong with my assessment, despite legal training.

I believe the two key issues to be the following:

(1) Even though the CCMPL was apparently drafted with the MPL 1.0 as
a template, I believe it does not make a clear distinction
between an "Initial Developer" (MPL, that would be Red Hat as the
legal successor to Ars Digita) and other contributors but rather treats
all contributors, be they Red Hat or third parties, pretty much alike,
with essentially the same rights and obligations with regards to the
code.

(2) Why would a "maintenance release" not be a release as understood by
the CCMPL?

CCMPL:
http://www.redhat.com/licenses/ccmpl.html

Best regards,