OSD Model Code -- Article 1 (Free Distribution)

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Jan 20 05:30:04 UTC 2003

I think you're confusing "copies," "collective works" and "derivative
works."  These are each defined in the Copyright Act, 17 USC §101.
There is no such definition for "component of an aggregate software
distribution."  Claiming a collective work copyright doesn't mean you've
created a derivative work.

Here's an example.  If an author exercises great creativity to collect
together into one work the best poems of the last 10 years, he is
creating a collective work and not a derivative work.  The degree of his
creativity isn't a factor unless he exercises no creativity at all
(e.g., simply a list of poems randomly selected), in which case his
collective work copyright might not be valid.

Here's another example.  If an author exercises great creativity to find
the best open source utilities for distribution on a single CD, he is
creating a collective work and not a derivative work.  He requires
licenses to make copies, not licenses to create derivative works.
That's true no matter how much creativity he put into bringing the
collection together.

/Larry Rosen