"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

PETERSON,SCOTT K (HP-USA,ex1) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Wed Jan 15 15:39:44 UTC 2003

RESEND

David --

"They do not have the right to control the distribution of other works."

I agree. But that misses the point. Assume two bodies of copyrightable
material in which the copyright in each is owned by a different person (X
and Y) and neither body of copyrightable material includes any copyrightable
material from the other person. Assume that D would like to distribute both
of these  As you say, X cannot prevent distribution of Y's material. That is
not the same thing as saying that D has the positive legal right to combine
anything that D wants with X's material when distributing X's material. To
distribute both X's material and Y's material, D requires permission of both
X and Y. X could decide to decline to give that permission for the case
where X's material was distributed on the same medium with Y's material.

I use the extreme restriction above to illustrate the legal possibilities.
The GPL does not go as far as the arrangement hypothesized for X above. The
GPL explicitly permits combined distribution of mere aggregations on a
single medium. I use this example to point out why I see no basis for the
argument that a restriction on material of others can't legally happen in a
permission-based arrangement.

"But can they control the distribution of other works that reside on the
same media as their own? That's your question in a nutshell, I think."

Not that's not a question in my mind. It is clear that that is legally
possible. It is also clear that the GPL does go that far, as indicated by
the "mere aggregation" language in the GPL. Instead, the GPL limits its
copyleft scope to material that has some more particular relationship to the
material originally licensed under the GPL.

For the following discussion, I'll reuse the hypothetical in an earlier
message: assume some code A and some code B. Assume that B is licensed under
the GPL and that one is trying to answer the question, "When I distribute A
and B together, must A be distributed under the GPL?"

Some appear to assert that the only relationship that matters under the GPL
is whether A is a derivative work of B. That interpretation appears to me to
be inconsistent with the plain language of the GPL:
   "These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can
be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then
this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
distribute them as separate works.  But when you distribute the same
sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the
distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose
permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each
and every part regardless of who wrote it.
   "Thus, it is not the intent of this section to claim rights or contest
your rights to work written entirely by you; rather, the intent is to
exercise the right to control the distribution of derivative or collective
works based on the Program."

So, the question I've been trying to ask is how one can interpret that
language in a way that is consistent with the view that all that matters is
whether A is a derivative work of B.

-- Scott
Scott K. Peterson
Corporate Counsel