"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

PETERSON,SCOTT K (HP-USA,ex1) scott.k.peterson at hp.com
Tue Jan 14 14:52:12 UTC 2003

Larry --

I want to become a believer that the appropriate analysis only requires
determination of whether A is a derivative of B. But I just don't see how
that analysis squares with that paragraph of section 2. I am stuck on that
legal rule of construction that says that in judging various possible
interpretations, one should weigh more heavily those interpretations that
give meaning to all of the provisions.

Is this a point on which you think that the authors of the GPL were wrong in
their understanding of copyright law? Or, what is your understanding of the
meaning of the paragraph of section 2 that I quoted?

I am not assuming that the GPL does more than leverage the copyright law. If
A+B is one work under the copyright law, then A+B is a derivative of B and
requires B's permission for distribution. Thus, it is unnecessary to find a
contractual obligation to restrict the distribution of A+B.

-- Scott
Scott K. Peterson
Corporate Counsel
Hewlett-Packard Company