"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

Don Jarrell don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Tue Jan 7 19:32:19 UTC 2003

Since I am new, I would normally lurk for a while,
but I am familiar with this issue in some historical,
practical arguments.  By way of introduction, I should
clarify that I am neither hands-on programmer (now) nor
attorney, but I have done a lot of licensing,
development, etc in the past. And, I am now consulting
software companies on licensing/SEP, especially on the
OS-proprietary boundary.

The issue of an API in the context of a derivative
work has been argued successfully along the lines of
a non-digital analogy.  While those often break down,
I believe this one may be apt.  Consider taking a
cast of a three-dimensional object.  One does not
have an identical-looking thing, but more like a
mirror image, which still duplicates the "curves",
or interface of the original and the cast.  Applied
to the API context, an API which "fits" a GPL-licensed
interface is arguable derived from the expression of
that interface.  From this basis, I still advise
clients to use the abstraction layer approach.

Cheers.     dj