Question about GPL with exception

arnaud.quette at mgeups.com arnaud.quette at mgeups.com
Tue Feb 25 13:46:16 UTC 2003

Hello,

We (MGE UPS SYSTEMS) would like to release some code under GPL with
exception (file header at the end of this mail), and we need to have
confirmation
about some points to do things cleanly and surely:

1) As the GPL is an OSI-approved license, is the GPL with MGE exception, that
we proposed hereafter, an OSI approved license too ? Or do we have to get an
OSI approval for it ?

2) Is the below header sufficient for inclusion in the distributed files, or do
we
need to attach a full GPL license file with those ?

3) We want to be sure that we can continue using the code given under GPL
in our existing and future proprietary developments without making those GPL.
Is the exception mentionned, in the attached header, sufficient to guarantee
this ?

4) We also want to be sure that we can still extend this exception in the
future, on
the same released files, in example for allowing a partner to include this files
in
its proprietary program. Is this possible ?

I'm ready to answer any other questions to clarify all those points...
Thanks for your help,

Arnaud Quette / Jérôme Lecuivre
MGE UPS SYSTEMS - R&D Department
http://www.mgeups.com/opensource/

/************************************************************************************************************

This file is part of the MGE UPS SYSTEMS HID Parser.
     Copyright (C) 1998-2003 MGE UPS SYSTEMS,
          Written by Luc Descotils.

     (at your option) any later version.

     Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

     In addition, as a special exception, MGE UPS SYSTEMS grants itself
     permission to link the code of this HID Parser with its own
     proprietary softwares (already existing or future), which HID Parser is
     extracted from, and distribute the resulting binaries without causing the
     resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public License.

     Any other work based on this file and not covered by the above
     exception is governed by the GNU General Public License.