Why?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Dec 30 05:31:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

> The real problem is of course that copyright is a statutory right
> and like all statutory rights cannot be abandoned

Wow. Looks like you are saying that we have something that expires or
disappears after X years, but cannot be forced (accelerated) to expire
or disappear after X-1 years. IMHO, this is totally absurd, but I am
not surprised this is true in some legal systems.

So far, it looks like to safely place something in public domain, one
should not claim a priori ownership/authorship but simply anonymously
release the thing into the wild. SourceForge, CreativeCommons, or
somebody should offer such a service.

Alex.