For Approval: CUA Office Public License

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Sun Dec 21 05:21:07 UTC 2003

Patranun Limudomporn said on Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:19:57PM +0700,:

 > (d)  Notwithstanding Section  2.1(b)  above, no  patent license  is
 > granted: 1)  for code  that You delete  from the Original  Code; 2)
 > separate from the Original Code; or 3) for infringements caused by:
 > i) the modification of the  Original Code or ii) the combination of
 > the Original Code with other software or devices.

I recall reading on debian legal (2) is considered not free by debian.
see the debian-legal archives.   The consensus was that this provision
prevents code reuse in other applications.

The discussion on Debian-legal came  up in the context of Nokia Public
license.  Mozilla,  the application is  considered free because  it is
dual licensed under the MPL and GPL.

If you  wish to have your package  carried in Debian, you  may wihs to
cross check on that list too.

 > (d) Notwithstanding Section 2.2(b) above, no patent license is
 > granted: 1) for any code that Contributor has deleted from the
 > Contributor Version; 2) separate from the Contributor Version;

Again. See above.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,