Clarification of GPL

Abe Kornelis abe at bixoft.nl
Mon Dec 15 21:06:41 UTC 2003

Mahesh,

> The nearest analogy from literature I  can think of at the moment is X
> being a  grammar text book and  Y my essay, which  conforms to grammar
> in that text book. Is my essay a derivative of the grammar book?

Example is too far-fetched. What if Y were a separate book
with extensive treatment of the exercises presented in X ??
Y could not exist without X - the prior publication.
Yet copyright AFAIK treats it as an independent work.
Certainly as long is it is being distributed as a separate
volume.

Abe Kornelis.