Can abandonment be irrevocable?

Ken Brown kenbrown at erols.com
Tue Aug 19 19:27:11 UTC 2003

Peter,

Thanks for this.  I have to tell you that you are really onto an
interesting point.  I am not a lawyer, but I believe that there are some
legal points here that are probably unprecedented.

I believe this particularly because the GPL has not been interpreted on
any of these topics by a court in the U.S. or elsewhere.  The SCO case I
believe will bring more clarity to the implications.  To date however,
there has not been a court issued delineation between the finality of
donating your work vs. changing your mind and asking for your donated
property back from the "community".

Briefly, my basic understanding of copyleft is that the rights to what
you contribute reverse to property of the community/public domain.  This
is a problem because the community is a non-entity.  There isn't legal
precedent for a non-entity to defend ownership of anything.  The
agreement becomes enforceable only to the extent that another user that
agreed to the same license and using your donated property (in the
community) would like to challenge your insistence that you "own" the
property.

Nevertheless, your point is interesting. The Micro-Star decision
specifies that their needs to be a clear intention to abandon that
right.  But that word is kind of vague to me and could go both ways.  I
believe we are going to have to wait and see if a "giver" challenges the
irrevocability of their gifts to the public domain.  Jury's seem to very
lenient when it comes to  reasonability standards.  Indefinite donations
to a non-entity I believe could easily become a "reasonability"
question.

kb