Validity of the OSL version 2.0 license in Europe

Mikko Valimaki mikko.valimaki at hiit.fi
Fri Aug 8 05:56:45 UTC 2003

Well, one big issue is that EU law does not recognize "derivative
works". It is a US legal concept.

Consider article 2 of the directive on computer program copyright, which
states as prohibited act: "(b) the translation, adaptation, arrangement
and any other alteration of a computer program and the reproduction of
the results thereof, without prejudice to the rights of the person who
alters the program". This is perhaps what european judges should take as
a starting point when considering what constitutes a derivative work. I
don't know any good european cases on the issue.

Interpreting the directive wording, one could say that the European
definition of derivative works is much broader and stricter compared to
US: any alteration of existing works creates a derivative work. Instead,
in the US, the new work must be based on the underlying work. Maybe this
is just semantics but in the context of computer programs, taking only a
short passage of someone’s copyrighted source code into a combined
program could be considered as an "alteration of the work" while the new
program might not be considered as being "based on" the recycled code...

Anyway, this does not mean that OSL wouldn't been valid. It may,
however, be very unreadable to lawyers (and developers) outside the US.

Regards,
Mikko