License Approval Committee

Don Jarrell don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Wed Apr 23 16:19:23 UTC 2003

An interesting turn of events.  While I would probably
not consider myself qualified to vote for a license's
getting the mark, I offer a couple of questions to consider.

- What is the standard by which votes are interpreted
as "approval" ?  Absence of any objection ? That's a
pretty high-standard given the open constituency of the
list.  Number of nay votes ? Number or percentage of yea
votes ?  Kind of fuzzy.

- If there is some metric based upon list population,
could/should those who would recuse themselves from the
voting - for whatever reason - be removed from that
population count ?

- Could list members whose bent is revealed to be
inconsistent with the OSI/OSD be booted from the list ?
Could they become non-voting viewers ?

- Is there a secondary review by the Board (like ruling
notwithstanding verdict) ?

- After reading the new certification page again, I
wonder if the all-list-member review could be better
as a _screening_ process, prior to Board review of the
short-list where actual "approval" and "certification"
are conferred.

I do believe in the value of the mark as currently conferred,
but with this new approach, I am less sure what it will mean.

Cheers.     dj

Don B Jarrell                don at digitalthinkinginc.com
Digital Thinking Inc.        512 266 7126   home-office
www.digitalthinkinginc.com   972 467 6793          cell