Licensing Model: Joint Copyright Assignments

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Apr 15 02:01:14 UTC 2003

Hi Mitchell,

Why do you need a copyright assignment at all?  The OSAF's code tree is
a collective work.  The OSAF will own the copyright in that collective
work, which you can protect in a copyright infringement lawsuit.  Why
does OSAF care about the copyrights for the components in the tree as
long as you have a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to use
those components, copy them, modify them and distribute them as part of
the OSAF tree or anything else?

The license-back in the Sun copyright assignment is helpful so that the
author can continue to use his own work, but it would prevent the
original author from defending his copyright if the assignee did
something untoward (like bankruptcy, change of mission from open source
to proprietary, etc.).  Why should anyone trust Sun (or OSAF, or anyone
else) with ownership of, and right to defend, their intellectual
property?

Potential contributors ought to consider carefully before assigning
copyright to anyone whose interests in protecting the copyright are
potentially different from their own.  I would advise any clients of
mine to avoid assigning their copyrights to anyone unless they intend to
relinquish all authority over their own work in perpetuity.

As copyright assignments go, however, the Sun one is pretty clean.

/Larry Rosen