recap on SHPTRANS license

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 17 01:46:33 UTC 2002

Since several of you took the trouble to look at my SHPTRANS license
template a few months ago, I just wanted to follow up and let you know how
it turned out.  After I took out the parts that a non-lawyer had no business
writing, I was left with a simple non-contractual permission notice, that I
was quite happy with.  Please note, even though I'll be using this myself, I
am not submitting it for OSI approval.

Also, please keep in mind that this bikeshed is already built, and painted.

http://www.sentry.org/docs/faq/misc.html#BIKESHED-PAINTING

Having said that, here is the license.  Cheers, and thanks again.

SHPTRANS License:

  SHPTRANS is Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Bruce Dodson and others.
  All rights reserved.

  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
  its documentation, with or without modification, for any purpose
  and without fee is hereby granted subject to the following
  conditions:

  1. A copy of this license (including the above copyright notice,
     this permission notice, and the following disclaimers) must
     appear in the documentation or in other materials accompanying
     the software, where an end-user can reasonably be expected to
     see it.

  2. The above copyright notice must appear in all copies of the
     software and in any portions thereof.  The copyright notice
     must be followed immediately by a notice stating that the
     software is made available under the terms of this license,
     and indicating where the complete license text is found.

  3. Products derived from this software must include the following
     notice in their documentation or in other materials accompanying
     the work, where an end-user can reasonably be expected to see it:
     "Portions of this software are based on SHPTRANS by Bruce Dodson."

  4. The names of the copyright holders and contributing authors may
     not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
     software without specific prior written permission.

  THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
  THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTING AUTHORS DISCLAIM ANY
  AND ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
  BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.

  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR CONTRIBUTING
  AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
  HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
  AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING IN ANY WAY
  OUT OF THE USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
  ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

End of SHPTRANS License