OSI approval of Plan 9 license

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Sep 12 18:24:45 UTC 2002

Ralph Mellor scripsit:

> Given that I'm just a member of the public, and
> not the owner of the license, can I do that? If I
> can, are all relevant parties happy for me to do so?

I don't see why you can't.  But of course if OSI rejects it, there's
nothing you can do to make Lucent change, which means OSI will probably
not treat this as a high-priority item, especially if (as I suspect)
they are going to reject it as written.  OSI's business is to certify
OS licenses and to evolve non-compliant licenses toward compliance,
not to put black flags on unchangeable non-OSI licenses.

>     John Cowan's summary of Plan 9 license issues
>     as of Aug 20 2000:
>      EITHER full URL (cut/paste next two lines together):
>       http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?
>       3:mss:2173:aankcpfkdbioplpjjacb
>      OR short alternate URL:
>       http://tinyurl.com/1ch9

AFAICT my five points (Lucent can demand private mods, only a "reasonable"
media fee can be charged, distributees must be relicensed, IP retaliation
is too broad, U.S. export regulations are imposed even outside the U.S.)
are still present in the currently available license version at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/license.html .

> Apparently there was a "Lucent policy decision"
> not to pursue license approvals:
> http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:5

This URL seems to be wrong.

--
Evolutionary psychology is the theory		John Cowan
that men are nothing but horn-dogs,		http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
	--Susan McCarthy (adapted)		jcowan at reutershealth.com