XML DTD and open source licensing

MAISONNY Benoit Benoit.MAISONNY at eurocontrol.int
Thu Sep 12 09:01:07 UTC 2002

Hi,

Most OSI-certified licenses apply to "software". Does that include an XML DTD?

I noticed the W3C license makes broader provision by using the terms "This W3C work (including software, documents, or other related items)" and "SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION" in the disclaimer.

To give some context: we are tempted to use the BSD license on a work that includes source code and a DTD. We want to allow anyone to modify the DTD if they want, under the terms of the BSD license (or similar). Note that a DTD could very well be distributed in source and binary form.

In doubt, we will probably modify the BSD license, which would prevent us from using the OSI mark. And this is unfortunate, in my opinion.

Thanks in advance,
Benoit

P.S. I am not speaking officially for Eurocontrol.

Benoit MAISONNY                        benoit.maisonny at eurocontrol.int
eAIP development & support   http://www.eurocontrol.int/ais/ahead/eaip
EUROCONTROL                        Aeronautical Information Management