a proposed change to the OSD

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Oct 26 21:06:30 UTC 2002

Your are not likely to find a legal meaning (in the copyright law sense) of
"use" restrictions, but it might be helpful to frame the issue in a two-step
analysis: [1] Use restrictions that involve exclusive copyright interests,
and [2] use restrictions that exceed or are outside of the scope of
exclusive copyright interests. The proposal concerns step 2. (An example of
step 1 might be a restriction on public distribution of copies). I think the
language in the proposal would benefit from refinement; notably, although
step 2 restrictions could encompass a wide-range of matters, I doubt I would
ever have included indicia of mutual assent (i.e., clickwrap matters).  I
think the aerlier suggestion that an explanatory note follow the proposed
clause is a good idea.

Rod
Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden
rod at cyberspaces.org
http://www.cyberspaces.org/dixon/
My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132