a proposed change to the OSD

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Fri Oct 25 23:35:22 UTC 2002

From: "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <gilbertd at treblig.org>
> Well I was thinking about GPL on libraries since that restricts what you
> are allowed to link the library against; (No I'm not trying to get into
> an argument about the merits or not of this).

Copyright law spells out a number of rights, including use and creation
of derived works. GPL attempts to restrict the creation of derived works
and contends that linking creates a derived work. This position is not a
use restriction, but may not be enforcible in court - we need more cases
to know for sure. Other licenses, like Larry's latest effort, do this
with something that is more clearly enforcible but rely on a use
restriction.

	Thanks

	Bruce