Copyright

Ken Brown kenbrown at erols.com
Thu Oct 24 19:44:41 UTC 2002

Ok John...I give up.  You insist that you can own something 100% and
relinquish 100% control at the same time.  There is not a single legal
precedent for this anywhere.  So you and I will just have to disagree.  You
cannot surrender rights to modify and distribute  something you have a
copyright protected, and then turn around and expect all of its privileges.
I agree with Sujita, if I GPL my software called "kb-library" I would not be
surprised to expect someone to be selling it as their own with a name
change, etc.  I would expect it to be GPL of course, and maybe the author
will give me credit. But the hell with credit, the GPL gives an individual
the legal right to sell my idea as their own.  In the end, a court would
challenge my claim to "rights" for the product because my transaction will
not be able to meet any key thresholds of an author's demand for copyright
law protection.   Particularly when the license has such vague restrictions
for derivative works.

kb