Copyright

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Thu Oct 24 18:42:17 UTC 2002

This is part of the reason why describing "intellectual property" as
"property" often obscures more than it clarifies.   Copyright is not a car
or a plot of land; it is a bundle of exclusive rights of the copyright
owner: reproduction, distribution, creation of derivative works, and for
some works, public performance, public display, and digital
transmission.  The copyright owner can choose whether to exercise or permit
others to exercise any or all of those rights.

A copyright holder who licenses his work under the GPL permits others to
use some of those rights, provided they follow the conditions of the
license.  He releases some of the exclusivity, in return for other values
he finds meaningful.   The copyright owner retains the right to exclude
users who don't follow the license's terms, for example, if they try to
distribute derived binaries without source code.  He also retains the right
to distribute or license to others on entirely different terms.

Unless an owner dedicates a work to the public domain, releasing all
exclusivity, the retained rights are "copyright."  Instead of viewing this
divisibility as a limitation, one might see it as allowing an author
greater freedom:   Each author has the option to release work to the
public, to permit others to study and modify it, _without_  giving up all
rights or all control.

--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com
w: (212) 715-7815  // f: (212) 715-8192 // m: (914) 374-0613
Associate, Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Adjunct Professor, St. John's University School of Law
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html