Copyright

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Oct 24 14:37:15 UTC 2002

Sujita Purushothaman scripsit:

>     I'd like to ask, when A writes a program and distributes it under the
> GPL, and B modifies it :
> 1. Is B allowed to remove all traces of A's name? Is B supposed to retain
> A's name somewhere?

It is customary for the copyright notice to include the author's name
(though it does not have to) and GPL forbids tampering with the copyright
notice.

> For example if I were to take RedHat Linux, make some
> modifications, and distribute my own version, can I remove all instances of
> "RedHat" ?

This is a different question -- you not only can but you must.  "Red Hat"
is a trademark of Red Hat, and you have no right to use it.

--
A mosquito cried out in his pain,               John Cowan
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        Was para-dichloro-                      jcowan at reutershealth.com
Diphenyltrichloroethane.                                (aka DDT)