OSI certification mark and BSD licence

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Oct 22 12:45:26 UTC 2002

Francis Hunt scripsit:

> the BSD licence does not require me to distribute source code with it. Does
> this mean I could in theory distribute a program in binary form with a BSD
> licence and claim it was OSI certified?

The question is not well-formed, because it is not software but licenses
that are certified.  An OSI certified license conforms to the OSD, but
there may be and doubtless are licenses that are not OSI certified but
still conform.

Software issued under a license that conforms to the OSD, *and* for which
source is made easily available ("easily" meaning in the manner of OSD #2),
is Open Source.

--
And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening
beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from