Open Source Licence for my cms?

Brendan Hide brendan at sacm.co.za
Fri Oct 18 11:03:02 UTC 2002

  Sorry if this already went in, but I got a mailer-daemon error saying
that it wouldn't accept a multipart/alternative. Weird, so I changed it
to plaintext.

IANAL

The response below was a little short - I thought I might elaborate.

As I understand it, I am allowed to give rights to my software twice by
using two licenses. It is _my_ software after all. If the exceptions add
restrictions or contradict the GPL, then I can see it as defying the GPL
- and hence, illegal. Otherwise, there shouldn't be a problem. Please
correct me if I am wrong.

One problem I do see is that the viral nature of the GPL won't include
any additional rights and exceptions. I don't see any way around this.

Mahesh T Pai wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
>

>> I suggest the GPL.  Although you cannot rewrite the GPL wholesale,
>> you can
>> add exceptions to it, thus:
>>
>>     As a special exception to the above license, you may <do whatever>
>

> And then, you should not call it the GPL.
>
> Regards,
> Mahesh T Pai.
>

> --

Brendan Hide