Why is BSD OSI certified?

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Thu Oct 17 01:50:53 UTC 2002

> Rod Dixon scripsit:
>
> > John, would you further clarify your point? I am unsure whether I
> > understand the distinction you are making. An open source software
license
> > governs open source software.
>
> Although the OSI certifies licenses, the OSD is a definition of what
> it means for *software* to be Open Source.  Eight of the nine restrictions
> are worded in terms of what the license of the software must provide for;
> but OSD #2 restricts the software directly, saying that unobscured
> source code for the program must be easily available, but in no way
> constraining the license.
For purposes of clarification, all of the articles of the OSD may be viewed
as referring to open source software distributed under the terms of an open
source license. Article 2 of the OSD sets out a requirement that if the
applicable license ignored the restriction or contained provisions that were
contra, the license would not be consistent with Article 2. I suspect the
OSI Board might reject such a license, if it were submitted. In that regard,
I would not state that Article 2 of the OSD is just about software and not
like the other articles.

> > How did you splice this to get to Netscape
> > 7.0? I can post part of Netscape's license, if necessary, but paragraph
5
> > (I think) raises exactly the point Alain raised (but with regard to the
> > BSD).
>
> I suppose you mean the NPL.
No, I meant what I stated. I posted an excerpt from the Netscape license
below. The fact that it is difficult to view Netscape's license online is
not your fault. Netscape's clickwrap in 7.0 is odd and I am unsure why the
AOL/TW lawyers advised them to do what they are doing.

> But Netscape 7.0 is not distributed under the
> NPL, and indeed contains components whose source code is proprietary.
> Taken as a whole, Netscape 7.0 is as closed as Windows.  I have been
> unsuccessful in finding a specific license for Netscape 7.0, but the
> general Netscape license at http://wp.netscape.com/terms/index.html#sw
> forbids modifying, selling, copying, or distributing anything not
> explicitly distributed under any other license such as the NPL or MPL.

Take a look at paragraph 7. I do not know what to make of it...perhaps its
terms are part of a concession to an earlier dispute. At any rate, one would
have to reverse engineer their code to determine whether any of your
assumptions are correct. How would one know whether version 7.0 is not
"covered code" as defined by the NPL? This is a genuine open source
conundrum, and I thought that was the type of issue you spotted in Article 2
of the OSD, but I stand corrected.

[snip]

- Rod
NETSCAPE (r) 7.0 END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
Redistribution Or Rental Not Permitted

These terms apply to Netscape 7.0

BY CLICKING THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON OR INSTALLING OR USING
THE NETSCAPE (r) 7.0 SOFTWARE (THE "PRODUCT"), YOU ARE
CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND BECOME A PARTY TO THIS
AGREEMENT AND THE LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR AOL (r)
INSTANT MESSENGER (tm) SOFTWARE ATTACHED BELOW, AS THE
"LICENSEE."

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS
AGREEMENT, YOU MUST NOT CLICK THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON, YOU
MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT, AND YOU DO NOT
BECOME A LICENSEE UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.

1.  LICENSE AGREEMENT.  As used in this Agreement, for residents of
Europe, the Middle East or Africa, "Netscape" shall mean Netscape
Communications Ireland Limited; for residents of Japan, "Netscape" shall
mean Netscape Communications (Japan), Ltd.; for residents of all other
countries, "Netscape" shall mean Netscape Communications Corporation.  In
this Agreement "Licensor" shall mean Netscape except under the following
circumstances: (i) if Licensee acquired the Product as a bundled component
of
a third party product or service, then such third party shall be Licensor;
and
(ii) if any third party software is included as part of the Product
installation
and no license is presented for acceptance the first time that third party
software is invoked, then the use of that third party software shall be
governed
by this Agreement, but the term "Licensor," with respect to such third party
software, shall mean the manufacturer of that software and not Netscape.
With the exception of the situation described in (ii) above, the use of any
included third party software product shall be governed by the third party's
license agreement and not by this Agreement, whether that license agreement
is presented for acceptance the first time that the third party software is
invoked, is included in a file in electronic form, or is included in the
package
in printed form.  If more than one license agreement was provided for the
Product, and the terms vary, the order of precedence of those license
agreements is as follows: a signed agreement, a license agreement available
for review on the Netscape website, a printed or electronic agreement that
states clearly that it supersedes other agreements, a printed agreement
provided with the Product, an electronic agreement provided with the
Product.

2.  LICENSE GRANT.  Licensor grants Licensee a non-exclusive and non-
transferable license to reproduce and use for personal or internal business
purposes the executable code version of the Product, provided any copy must
contain all of the original proprietary notices.  This license does not
entitle
Licensee to receive from Netscape or its suppliers hard-copy documentation,
technical support, telephone assistance, or enhancements or updates to the
Product.

3.  RESTRICTIONS.  Except as otherwise expressly permitted in this
Agreement, or in another Netscape agreement to which Licensee is a party
such as the Netscape Client Customization Kit License Agreement (the "CCK
License Agreement") or a distribution agreement, such as the Netscape
Browser Distribution Program License Agreement, Licensee may not:
(i) modify or create any derivative works of the Product or documentation,
including customization, translation or localization; (ii) decompile,
disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive the source
code
for the Product (except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit
such
restriction or as provided by the Netscape Public License or Mozilla Public
License for portions of the Product governed by those licenses);
(iii) redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, or otherwise
transfer
rights to the Product; (iv) remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright
or
other proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels in the Product; or
(v) publish any results of benchmark tests run on the Product to a third
party
without Netscape's prior written consent.

4.  FEES.  There is no license fee for the Product.  If Licensee wishes to
receive the Product on media, there may be a small charge for the media and
for shipping and handling.  Licensee is responsible for any and all taxes.

5.  TERMINATION.  Without prejudice to any other rights, Licensor may
terminate this Agreement if Licensee breaches any of its terms and
conditions.
Upon termination, Licensee shall destroy all copies of the Product.

6.  PROPRIETARY RIGHTS.  Title, ownership rights, and intellectual
property rights in the Product shall remain in Netscape and/or its
suppliers.
Licensee acknowledges such ownership and intellectual property rights and
will not take any action to jeopardize, limit or interfere in any manner
with
Netscape's or its suppliers' ownership of or rights with respect to the
Product.
The Product is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws
and
by international treaties.  Title and related rights in the content accessed
through the Product are the property of the applicable content owner and are
protected by applicable law.  The license granted under this Agreement gives
Licensee no rights in or to such content.

7.  USE AND AVAILABILITY OF OPEN SOURCE CODE.  Portions of the
Product were created using source code governed by the Netscape Public
License (NPL) and the Mozilla Public License (MPL).  The source code for
the portions of the Product governed by the NPL and MPL is available from
http://www.mozilla.org under those licenses.