RPL version 1.1

Mahesh T Pai paivakil at vsnl.net
Wed Oct 16 13:34:38 UTC 2002

Randall Burns wrote:

 > 5.0 ...... Nothing in this License shall be interpreted to prohibit
 >  Licensor from licensing under different terms from this License
 > any code that Licensor otherwise would have a right to license.

Well, under other provisionsof this license, you get the copyright to
contributions to the source code.  Then you will distribute other's
contributions under your own different license.

Well, ....

 > As a condition to exercising the rights and licenses granted
 > hereunder, You hereby assume sole responsibility to secure any
 > other intellectual property rights needed, if any. .... it is Your
 > responsibility to acquire that license before distributing the
 > Licensed Software.

If licenses from others is required, and if they insist on royalties,
how can you call the s/w 'open'?

See OSD # 7:-
	7. Distribution of License

	The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom
	the program is redistributed without the need for execution of
	an additional license by those parties.

 > (6,4) b. Source Code Availability. You must notify Licensor within
 > one (1) month of the date You initially Deploy of the availability
 > of Source Code to Your Extensions ,,,,,

Once again, OSD # 7.

These conditions amount to a restriction on further re-distribution.

 > 6.6 Conflicts With Other Licenses. .... this License. Such
 > permission will be granted at the sole discretion of the Licensor.

Would not such permission contaminate s/w under this license?

 > 7.1 If You create or use a modified version of this License,..

Does this provision serve any purpose other than adding to the license
size?

 > The application of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for
 > the International Sale of Goods is expressly excluded.

I am not aware of the US / Colorado law.  But, if the US is a party to
the convention, my understanding of the law of international
obligations is that the courts in the US are bound to enforce the
Convention.

Regards,
Mahesh T Pai.