Why is BSD OSI certified?

Alain Désilets alain.desilets at nrc.ca
Wed Oct 16 13:45:05 UTC 2002

Looking on OSI's web site, I see that BSD is OSI certified.

However, one criteria for OSI certification is that:

"Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there
must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more
than a reasonable reproduction cost–preferably, downloading via the
Internet without charge."

Yet, BSD seems to allow binary-only distributions without requiring that
the source code be easily available:

-- quoted from BSD --

"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution."

---

So what am I missing? Am I misinterpreting the OSI criteria or the BSD
clause?

Thx

Alain Désilets
National Research Council of Canada