Moral Rights

Robert Samuel White webmaster at enetwizard.net
Thu Oct 3 23:22:45 UTC 2002

Larry,

Thank you for your very thoughtful contribution to this subject matter.
You have most certainly and more poetically expressed the reason for my
desire to create a new license.

Since you obviously want to know my opinion of the Academic Free
License, I will give it to you.  But first, let me just explain what it
is I am trying to accomplish, specifically what type of artistic control
I am seeking:

- I wish to claim authorship of my work.

- I don't want my name used to endorse a product I did not create.

- I want the comments that I place in a file (at the top and bottom) to
remain there, even if someone modifies the file.

- If someone modifies the file, I want them to say such, and explain how
and why they modified it.  And I want these comments placed directly
underneath of the comments section I create at the top of the file.

- I don't want some one else using the name of my product when their
product is derived from my own; that invites too much confusion.

Furthermore, and though you might think me petty on these points:

- I don't want someone else copyrighting the license that I choose to
use.  I'd rather use a public domain license that is a template and can
be freely used by anyone without reference to the author of the original
license.  The license I propose satisfies this requirement for not just
me but every one.

- I want my license to refer directly to the product in question.  The
license I propose allows me to do just that.  I could have a hundred
different products all based on the same license template, which also
means they would all automatically be approved by OSI, and that's what I
would like.

That is all I am asking in my license, nothing more, nothing less.  That
is the extent of the artistic control I am seeking.  There is no license
available that satisfies all of these requirements, and that is why I
have created the Simplified Artistic License.

As to what I think about the Academic Free License when compared to the
one I have created:

- I like the use of the term "Original Work" and parts of the "Grant of
License" section.  Some of that section is confusing, especially
everything said from non-sublicensable on down.  I'm not likely to
accept a license that I myself do not fully understand.

- I like the section called "License to Source Code."  I think it clears
up and makes room for any type of language or file format that one might
be distributing as part of their source code, that's really nice.  In
fact, there is no wording within that section that bothers me at all.

- The section entitled "Mutual Termination for Patent Action" is
confusing.  It seems to me that if something is patented then there are
laws regarding the use of patents and that information does not to be
part of a license.  Am I right on this?

- Other than what I've mentioned, it seems okay to me, except for the
fact it does not meet all of the conditions I set forth at the start of
this email.

I hope you find this information useful.

-Samuel