Partial OpenSource products/licenses?

Mitchell Baker mitchell at mozilla.org
Wed Oct 2 17:53:52 UTC 2002

I believe the difference is that the MPL does not require two versions
of the same code, one open and one closed.

Our system is to allow one version of the open tree, to which everyone
would contribute.  Copernicus would also keep a second tree, containing
the closed source material.
Copernicus would participate with everyone in the open source project.
 When Copernicus builds its commercial product, it would pull form the
open source project, then add in closed source additions to build its
commercial product.  Returning to the Netscape example, this is what
Netscape does.  Netscape engineers participate in the mozilla.org source
tree, and get the critical benefits of the open source project.
Netscape pulls from that open source tree, then pulls from a separate
closed source commercial tree to complete its product.  This means
anyone can pull the same thing from mozilla as Netscape does.  (Any many
do, forming the variety of Mozilla distributions.)   But no one else can
pull from Netscape's commercial tree, because that remains proprietary
to Netscape.

I use Netscape as an example because it is so well known, but numerous
other companies do the same thing as well.

Mitchell