discuss: OCLC Office of Research Open Source License

Brendan Hide brendan at sacm.co.za
Tue Oct 1 13:20:05 UTC 2002

Hello Tom (and other licence-discuss subscribers)

First, IANAL, and second, I haven't actually studied the OSI
Certification requirements thoroughly. What I have noticed is that the
"Original Contributor" is defined as the OCLC Office of Research within
Section 1 of the license. This means that the license cannot be used by
any author independently of the OCLC Office of Research as it would mean
that the OCLC grants rights where it wouldn't have any rights in the
first place. I don't think that this is an "infringement", but it seems
to me to prevent adoption of the license by third parties for their own
software. Of course, if this is the intention, then my statements are
superfluous. :-)

Regards,

--
Brendan Hide