MPL section 2.2, and patent grants on derivative works

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Nov 22 19:39:26 UTC 2002

Because of the kind of patent situation described in Brian's original
email and in the response below, I wanted to make the OSL more precise
than the MPL.  The OSL defines "Licensed Claims" in terms of the
Original Work:

   "...patent claims owned or controlled by the Licensor that are
   embodied in the Original Work as furnished by the Licensor...."

Those, and only those, Licensed Claims can be practiced in Derivative
Works.  See the OSL, section 2.  In the spirit of the open source
definition, authors of derivative works are expressly licensed under the
OSL to create improved embodiments of *those* Licensed Claims.

This response, of course, doesn't help interpret MPL section 2.2.

/Larry Rosen