Royalty-free Patent Policies for Open Source?

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Nov 21 01:58:20 UTC 2002

Ernie Prabhakar asked (with reference to the W3C patent policy):
> Does anyone have good examples of patent grants that meet the
> terms of
> this policy?  For example, has anyone actually licensed
> patents in this
> way for use by the Open Source community?  Is there a
> well-defined way
> to make a patent royalty-free for Open Source while still collecting
> royalties from commercial users?

Almost every patent grant included in an OSI-approved open source
license already meets the new W3C patent policy.  Here, for example, is
how the Open Software License (OSL) says it:

   2) Grant of Patent License. Licensor hereby grants
   You a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual,
   non-sublicenseable license, under patent claims owned or
   controlled by the Licensor that are embodied in the Original
   Work as furnished by the Licensor ("Licensed Claims") to make,
   use, sell and offer for sale the Original Work.  Licensor
   hereby grants You a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive,
   perpetual, non-sublicenseable license under the Licensed Claims
   to make, use, sell and offer for sale Derivative Works.

A few OSI-approved licenses, unfortunately, may be a little too strict
in their "defensive suspension" provisions to comply with the new W3C
policy; talk to your own attorneys at Apple for examples of that.  ;)

This means that an open source implementation can be the basis for a W3C
standard -- subject to third party patents, of course.

As to your last question, NO, the W3C patent policy forbids
discrimination against either proprietary *or* open source vendors.
What is royalty-free for one is royalty-free for all.  This is
consistent with the open source definition and was the position I took
at the W3C patent policy working group.  It seemed fair.

/Larry Rosen

P.S. I'm going to cross-post this message on an IETF list because we're
talking about the W3C patent policy there also.  /LR